As togetherness and context become increasingly important trends for both society and industry, through its ColorDirection 2021, Milliken & Company has embraced colors and textures that complement each other to reflect these vital values.
“Colors are visual instruments that can be used to produce a symphony of emotion, either individually or in concert with other supporting tones,” said Jamie Myers, senior development engineer, Milliken & Company. “We each have our individual associations with the primary colors in the spectrum, starting as early as childhood with our first bright, bold toys. As we grow, our appreciation of color develops and differentiates as we experience their countless variations. We make new associations with a wider variety of colors, building them into our emotional landscape, linking them with the events, people, places and products in our personal world. The journey of association continues throughout our lives, as color meets form meets fragrance to evoke emotions that make the memories that hold us.”
In the midst of the global challenges of 2020, these hues are thematically rich and work together in harmony, enabling a visual flow, as people look to choose colors that offer them reassurance and help them to find their place in the bigger picture. “Togetherness and context become increasingly important in the upcoming trends for both society and industry,” said Myers. “So, we look to nature for those colors and textures that work together in harmony, as people continue the search for reassurance and their place in the bigger picture.”
She continued, “From the dark richness of a distant galaxy’s planetary swirls and illuminating contours, to the wonders of living structures and patterns within simple houseplant cells, these natural designs, similarities, connections and contrasts are working all around us, made visible with colors that trigger recognition and comfort. Those colors are here, in Harmonic Synergy.”
The seven trend colors that make up the Harmonic Synergy palette for 2021 provide design inspiration and a marketing roadmap to help build the ultimate customer color experience, according to the company:
- Summer Dawn is a vibrant orange/red energizing the morning sky, lighting the equally alluring warm colors of the smooth contours in rocks formed over millions of beautiful sunrises. It’s also the color charged with the power of a day filled with texture and possibility, swelling in warmth and fizzing with visual energy.
- Soothing Earth is a smooth green grounded in the textures of natural patterns on our planet’s surface. It is a journey into quiet and calm that reminds us of treasured days in open fields with nature’s warm embrace.
- Forest Walks is a deeper, rich green at peace with the environment and surrounded by the clarity and support of the natural world. It is a rich signal color with strength and depth, a classic choice made new with the subtle power of a darker tone.
- Majestic Skies reaches deep into the spectrum for a bold and confident blue. It is a bridge between the fragile world of human industry and the stretching cosmos beyond. Inspired by the rich hues of unfolding galaxies, this color is ideal for products looking to connect the everyday with the bigger picture.
- River Calm is a sparkling ocean tone with an airy lightness. The color is visually nourishing, bright without sharpness and strong without shouting. It brings attention to its message of connecting with the waters of life.
- Floral Song brings blossoms and laughter together in a delicate bouquet of grounded notes and confident optimism. A deep, warm and satisfyingly rich purple, the color speaks to natural tones that connect and inspire.
- Proud Rose is a stunning, deep pink that is vibrant and unafraid, bringing an unmissable character of bold beauty to our color palette. It is a perfect choice for any product that needs to stand out in the crowd and bring new life to the eyes.